Thursday 5 December 2013

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories - Day 5 - Christmas Recipes



This series of blog posts has been inspired by Geneabloggers Advent Calendar to share memories for others in the future.


Both my grandmother and mother were amazing cooks and they would always make a selection of amazing homemade foods:

Turkey
(Photo Link - Wikipedia, Author: TheKohser, 21 Nov 2007
  • Christmas puddings
  • Christmas cakes - fruit cakes which were beautifully decorated
  • Mince pies
  • Cakes of many, many varieties
  • Sandwiches
  • Snacks
  • PLUS the amazing TURKEY ROAST with ALL the trimmings, pigs in blankets, vegetables, potatoes, stuffing, Yorkshire puddings, bread sauce, etc.


There would also always be a local butchers Yorkshire pork pie on the table as well.

My favourite part of Christmas food is the bread sauce, I could eat loads of it if I was given the chance.

Unfortunately, these recipes have not been passed down and I have not done Christmas enough times yet to find my own favourite recipes and dishes... although my mum once told me that it was the old Be-Ro recipe book in which my grandmother used for her baking, so we'll have to try that out one year.

There were family rumours that my grandmother used to add a little gravy browning to her Christmas puddings & cakes to make them lovely and dark in colour.


No comments:

Post a Comment