Tuesday 11 March 2014

The Book of Me, Written by You - Week 27 - Cars and Transport



Each week there are prompts which require answering.






Week 27 - Cars & Transport


My Brasilian friend Henrique in
my dad's Morris Minor 1000 Traveller


As a child, my parents always owned at least two cars. 


My dad had his prize and joy old J-registration Morris Minor 1000 Traveller, which he used regularly to commute to work and would spend hours in his holidays and weekends tinkering with it. In the summer we would often take it to Morris Minor Owners Club rally's and other car events. 


We also had the family car which my mum would use during the week for commuting to work but was also the primarily used car at weekends. Over the years we have had a VW Polo, Vauxhall Astras, Skoda Fabias and Octavias.


VW Polo
(Image link: www.wikipedia.org,
Author: Rudolf Stricker, 12 Nov 2007,
accessed 2 Mar 2014
)
I applied for my provisional driver's license at the age of 17 and started to learn in summer 2003. It took me a bit longer than average to learn but I eventually passed my driving test on my first attempt in summer 2004. I used to learn in my instructors Peugeot 306 and Daewoo Matiz, but also practised in my parents Skoda Octavia.


I used to drive to school with my mum in a morning and also had my driving lessons from school, I learnt in the hilly Rossendale valley so uphill starts were a vital skill to require!!


Vauxhall Astra
(Image link: www.wikipedia.org,
Author: Maxdot, 3 Jul 2005,
accessed 2 Mar 2014
)
I acquired my first car in 2008 when I started my first full-time employment. It was a Stone Grey 1.4 petrol Skoda Fabia which had previously belonged to my grandparents. In fact I still own this vehicle and drive it daily, although it is now beginning to get a little old and we're considering replacing it before too long. It has been an amazing car and has been so reliable. I have done 85,000 miles around the country in it and has been a fellow companion on those long commutes through all kinds of weather, sun, rain, wind & SNOW across the Pennines from Bradford to Bacup which I did for 4 years. I think I will be quite sad to replace the Skoda Fabia which has served me for 6 years and was my first car. It will always have a special place in my heart. 


Skoda Fabia
(Image link: www.wikipedia.org,
Author: Adrian Pingstone, 25 Mar 2005,
accessed 2 Mar 2014
)
In considering replacing it we would happily get another Skoda, as it has been a great car and well worth its money.


Skoda Octavia
(Image link: www.wikipedia.org,
Author: Rudolf Stricker, 13 Feb 2008,
accessed 2 Mar 2014
)
As children we had names for a few of our cars, the Morris Minor was called Horace the Morris, but I don't think I can remember the names of the other cars.


My husband and I would really love to invest in a VW camper and travel around the country and Europe in it during our holidays, I don't think we'll be buying one anytime soon, but it is a dream I have always had.

No comments:

Post a Comment