Saturday 28 June 2014

My ancestors lived at . . . Gill Bottom, Cowling

My great x4 grandfather, David Binns, was born in Cowling in West Yorkshire c1816.

In the 1851 census he is listed as living at Gill Bottom, Cowling, as a widower with his children, Ann, John (my great x3 grandfather), Sarah, Isabelah and Jane. I was intrigued and wanted to know where Gill Bottom was in Cowling. I decided to search for it on Google maps but accidentally clicked the search the web, so instead I got lots of images and web links. There was quite a lot of interesting stuff coming up...

I discovered that Gill Bottom was on Shop Lane in Cowling and that it is currently a Grade 2 listed building, it was listed in 1984. It was a c1800 farmhouse with 3 cottages.

There was a mill at Gill Bottom also known as the "weaving shop" which was sadly lost to a fire in November 1870.

I also found some images on the Cowling Web website, which I have included the direct links for the images below:
Beckside (Gill Bottom Cottages) 1961 - I wonder if it was one of the cottages on this photo in which my ancestor lived in 1851
Old Mill at Gill Bottom 1911
Gill Bottom, Cowling


Information from:
British Listed Buildings - Gill Bottom, Cowling
Moon-Rakers
Moon-Rakers - Gill Bottom Mill Fire

2 comments:

  1. My ancestors also lived at Gill Botton and were there on the 1841 census John Bradley and his wife Nancy are my 3 x great grandparents their daughter Sarah was my 2 x Great Grandmother. John Bradley was a weaver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps our ancestors knew one another! Thanks for sharing

      Delete