Tuesday 1 July 2014

The Book of Me, Written by You - Week 43 - Emigration, Migration & Immigration



Each week there are prompts which require answering.






Week 43 - Emigration, Migration & Immigration



Travels in New Zealand 2012
Emigration - is the act of leaving one's country or region to permanently settle in another.
Migration - is the movement of people from one place to another with the intention of settling in a new location.
Immigration - is the movement of people into another country or region, to which they are not native in order to settle there, especially permanently.


I would probably say that I have never emigrated, migrated or immigrated to another country, but I have definitely emigrated to the white rose county of Yorkshire from the red rose county of Yorkshire. Some would say I was an immigrant to Yorkshire.


Enjoying a Brasilian life on the beach
I have definitely lived in other countries though although I would not say I have emigrated. I spent my gap year in Brasil, which is where I lived for 6 months. I loved my time in Brasil and it was such a character building period of my life. I am still in contact 10 years on with my friends out there. I do not know whether I could emigrate to Brasil as I would miss my English family too much but I would definitely love to return to catch up with friends. There is an emotional connection to this country in my heart now and I think there always will be a love for that place. (Ruth's Favourite Things - Brasil)


I have also spent 3 months in both Malawi, Africa and New Zealand at various points in my past. I loved those trips and they also have special places in my heart for various reasons but I do not have that same connection with those places as I do with Brasil. (Ruth's Favourite Things - Malawi & New Zealand)



Bradford - my home today
I have lived in the city of Bradford, West Yorkshire now for nearly 10 years and I knew from the start this was the place I wanted to move to for university. I cannot tell you why but there was certainly a strong pull here. Since living here and researching my family history I have discovered lots of my ancestors were from Bradford and my great, great aunt Grace Midgley nee Poole even lived a few streets from where I currently live now. I wonder if the historical link from the past was the pull even though I did not know it at the time?


I have a few ancestors in my family tree who emigrated:
  • Grace Midgley, my great, great aunt emigrated to live with her son in Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) at the age of 75 years old in 1958
  • John Thompson AKA Jack, my great, great uncle emigrated to Australia in 1921 aged 20 years old to start a new life. He married and settled there, we believe his descendants are still there today.
  • My younger brother currently lives overseas in mainland Europe, where he has married a lovely German lady, so I can probably say he has emigrated.

I think that most of my ancestors loved the UK and were very settled in their northern counties, as most of my ancestral research is in the counties of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire.



Information from:

No comments:

Post a Comment