Saturday 25 October 2014

Grave Hunting at Nab Wood Cemetery

Today as we drove past Nab Wood Cemetery to get to a Lego Fair my husband wanted to see, I persuaded him on the return journey to stop off at the cemetery to visit the grave of my great, great, great grandmother, Sarah Hannah Poole & her son, my great, great grandfather, Fred Poole. I had found a reference to the grave on FindAGrave.com which aided locating the grave by already seeing a picture and knowing it's size, shape & colour.

Photo of my ancestor grave at Nab Wood Cemetery

In Loving Memory
of SARAH HANNAH
beloved wife of JAMES POOLE
who died May 17th 1922
in her 82nd year
"at rest"
Also of JAMES POOLE
husband of the above,
died at Melbourne, Australia
Also of FRED POOLE,
Son of the above,
died 8th April 1948
aged 87 years

When I eventually found the grave of Sarah Hannah & Fred Poole, I was more surprised to discover that the neighbouring grave was that of another set of my great, great, great grandparents, John & Jessie Binns. John & Jessie Binns were Fred Poole's parents-in-law.

My ancestors grave at Nab Wood Cemetery

A close up of the inscription

In 
Loving Memory of 
JOHN BINNS 
died Sep 27th 1904 
aged 65 years
also JESSIE wife of the above
died Dec 10th 1921
in her 78th year

Further close up of the inscription on John Binn's gravestone

Also ROSE HANNAH
daughter of the above
died Aug 5th 1896
in her 16th year

Last close up of John Binn's gravestone inscription

Also CLARISSA
Wife of JIM BINNS
Died May 7th 1919 aged 52 years

I am presuming that perhaps Fred & his wife, Grace Ellen Poole nee Binns bought the adjacent burial plots for their parents. Otherwise it would be a strange co-incidence that they're buried in neighbouring plots.

We had a further general wander around the rest of the cemetery and found a grave for Ada Poole nee Druce, the wife of Charles H Poole. Charles H Poole was Fred Poole's brother & son to Hannah.

Grave stone for Ada Poole

In Loving Memory of
ADA
wife of CHARLES H. POOLE
died July 7th 1926
aged 47 years.

All in all I feel it was a worthwhile trip especially finding 2 more ancestral graves which were unexpected finds!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment